Saturday, November 8, 2008

The Election and What it Might Mean for Russia

Well, this week has been a pretty exciting one. The election happened. That was huge in and of itself. Also, we went to the ballet again this Thursday, seeing Esmeralda. That ballet they don't perform in the US, so it was cool to see something I knew I wouldn't be able to see at home. The ballet overall was good, although there were some scenes I felt could have been cut out (which would have made it much more enjoyable). The one thing that annoys me about Russian ballet, which I realize is entirely due to a cultural difference, is that they clap and bow after like every dance, instead of just all at the end. It disrupts the flow and irritates me to know end. Besides that, it was good. Afterwards, we went to Starlight Diner, which is a very close approximation to 5 'n Diner in the States. I had nachos!!! They were delicious. And some french fries, which were also good. I can't wait to have Mexican food again.

I hate to wax political, but I am going to now. First, I am happy that Obama was elected. I hope those who were disappointed with his election watched his victory speech. It was moving and, more importantly, expressed the ideas that are sadly lacking in politics these days (both parties included). Although I am not an idealist and I realize that speeches are speeches, I thought he had some good things to say. I enjoyed that he said that he really wanted to engage Republicans and try to curb some of the intense partisanship that has developed over the years. I would love to see some of the bad feelings put aside and see our representatives more focused on the issues at hand.

Although I am more liberal than Obama himself, I think his moderate politics could be good for Washington and its internal, as well as external, affairs. I hope Republicans at least realize that he will do better internationally than McCain (although domestically that depends on your point of view of course). Now, my dad, who is forever a Republican Crusader, would tell me that I am wrong, but hear me out. Politics, especially international, at the end of the day is all about relationships. Obama, without a doubt, is very popular abroad. All of Europe likes him, as well as Russia. The European Union is an important ally and we need to repair the damage to our relations. Russia is an extremely important relationship we need to develop as well. We cannot use intimidation politics with Russia, which is what was proposed by, say, Palin. We can't just say, "Do what we want or we'll start a war with you". Because Russia will respond to such a threat. They'll call our bluff. They are nothing if not proud of their military history and current power. They also are not as inclined to peace as other nations and they are perfectly OK fighting for something they feel they need to protect. Obama has a way with words, you can't deny that. He is extremely diplomatic and I think that his skills will work well on Russia. Russia is an important ally. They have tons of natural resources and have a lot of control over Eastern Europe as well as Central Asia. It would be wise to attempt friendship with them. In that, at least, I think people should be satisfied. Feel free to hate him for whatever else, but at least on the international scene he has a good chance of success.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

Hey Sara. How long will you be in Russia for? Can I have both addresses?
They really bow after every dance? That is interesting. I bet that would get frustrating. What didn't you like about the ballet, I am interested.
I really hope too that Obama will help smooth over international relationships. That would definitely be a plus.
How's school?