Wednesday, October 29, 2008

St. Petersburg

Last week we went to St. Petersburg. It was a really nice break from classes; they are so hard! Anyway, there was much sight-seeing during the day and drunken debauchery (more drunk than debauchery) at night. We took an overnight train to and from the city, which was one of my most favorite parts, actually. It's really cool to be in a compartment and drink tea and just hang out. It's a very old world experience. St. Petersburg is beautiful, very European. Peter the Great was basically a badass and he is now one of my personal heroes. He designed the city, kept it safe, established it as a capital etc. etc. etc. Did you know he was 6'7" though? That's pretty insane!

Classes in general have been tough and I feel like there is so much more Russian to learn before I become even close to being conversational in the language. I am going to try and be more active in the community, which hopefully will help my exposure. We'll see though; the darkness and the cold is very conducive to laziness. I want to check out a yoga studio this week that is a couple of metro stops away. It would be nice if I could do that, even if just occasionally.

All in all, I am getting used to Russia. It's very different from my beloved Arizona, but Russia and I are learning to live together. I do miss the sunshine though. People are pretty cheerful in Arizona, I think. But the weather isn't terrible yet as far as coldness; it's mostly the gray that's depressing. However, on an unrelated note, I am getting more into cooking. I really hated having to cook at first (hand washing dishes is a pain), but now I am kind of getting into it. And another piece of culinary good news: I found soy milk at the local grocery store!! Now I can have cereal! I just can't do the real milk. Yuck. Plus, it hurts my stomach. The longer I am here, the more convinced I am that I'm lactose intolerant. Because they say that yogurt and cheese have the least lactose and those are the dairy products that I can eat.

Last but not least: If you'd like a postcard, send me your address! quechuanilliterate@gmail.com I'd be happy to send them, but I only have a few of your addresses. :D

2 comments:

Celeste said...

Hey sound like you are having fun! If you can my address is:
600 Pioneer Rd. #907
Rexburg, Idaho 83440

What part of Russia are you living in? I have a couple of friends who have lived there. I am glad you found soy milk. Hey what is your address? Thanks hottness!

Sara said...

I live near the Vykhino metro stop. The area is called Vykhino (V-EE-h-ee-n-ah). Where did your friends stay?

Oh, and did you want my Russian address or my address back in AZ? Just let me know! :D