Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tomatoes make my heart smile

Finally... vegetables!! I bought tomatoes and cucumbers and the Ryc market the other day. Tonight, Francine and I had hot bread with melted cheese with sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, with salt and a bit of balsamic vinegar. Yum! My heart was thanking me so much for some actual vitamins. I also bought some mint green tea, so hopefully that'll help as well.

Russian grocery stores are ridiculous. One aisle is all tea and coffee, another aisle (both sides) is all candy/cookies/sweets, and another aisle (both sides again) is all booze. Mind you this is three aisles of an approx. 12 aisle store. And one aisle is Соки (Juices), but half of the aisle is beer, which apparently is not alcohol, but juice. So yeah, that's a Russian grocery store for you. Now maybe you can see the difficulty in eating semi-healthy here.

I've been a little homesick the past couple of days. I'm missing the warmth (literally and figuratively) of Phoenix. People aren't very friendly here and are actually often kind of rude. Don't get me wrong, there are definite exceptions to the rule. But for the most part, people just push you, tell you to move, and scoff at you when they realize you aren't fluent in Russian. And while I am not saying that American men are gentlemen, men here rarely if ever hold doors and will usually go in front of you, so "ladies first" doesn't really exist here. I'm sure they'd say that it's their progressive proletarian gender equality, but I have my doubts.

However, Russians must intuitively sense that I am a friendly American because men on the subway seem to have developed a penchant for sleeping on me. Twice now guys have passed out on my shoulder... for like a half hour. And one of them was bloody from a fight. *sigh* I really wish they'd sleep somewhere else.

1 comment:

Celeste said...

That's awesome! I am so excited that you are in Russia and that I found your blog! We have to be blogging buddies. Here's mine: bcweimerfamily.blogspot.com
That is funny about the grocery store. I hear people aren't very nice in Russia as well but it's just because it is so dang cold there. LOL Beer makes everything better there. I am glad you got some veggies though. That would be hard not to get fresh produce!