Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Stray Dog Capital of the World

My first week in Moscow has been filled with adventures. One of the things I've noticed that is very different is that there is a very large stray dog population. In Phoenix, and even Almuñecar, feral cats roam the streets, but usually if someone sees a dog running about it's assumed that it's lost and has a home somewhere.

In Moscow though, I've only seen two stray cats, but I've seen a myriad stray dogs. One nice thing about them? They are all really friendly and don't bother you. They are all so cute and I want to feed them/take them home to the dorms with me. I suppose that's what happens when you're me. I have pet one of them but most are centered around the metro stops (lots of people=more scraps) so there are usually so many people and I'm walking fast. Everyone in Moscow walks extremely quickly. I'm not sure why.

Another cultural phenomenon? Six-inch heels. Literally, 90% of women wear six-inch everywhere and walk as if they are in tennis shoes. And about 95% of women wear knee-high boots, heeled or not (usually heeled). I definitely need to buy some when I'm home for Christmas because it's a must-have for Russian women. And the flashier the boot the better. Russian women take flashy/classy to new levels here. I'll try to load some pictures of the Russian women later. But apparently it is hard to upload pictures with the dorm internet connection so we'll see.

3 comments:

Ben Hammerslag said...

"And about 95% of women wear knee-high boots, heeled or not (usually heeled)."

I KNEW there was a good reason I was studying Russian!

Celeste said...

So would you say it makes the Russian women more sexy with their booted heels?
DO the stray dogs in Russia have flees? (I was wondering if it is too cold for flees to live there)

Sara said...

People say not to touch them (because of fleas I think), but I pet them anyway... usually only their head though.

Yeah, I think it makes them sexier... they are just always more put-together than American women. Plus, their fashion is a lot more flashy/sexy than ours (but not more revealing.. too cold for that!)